Sunday, May 14, 2017

Genius Hour Week 1

This week in Genius hour was all about brainstorming. I struggled to come up with an idea all the way until Friday. Given complete free range and no restrictions is always tricky for me because I never know where to start. There were plenty of topics that would interest me to research but the tricky part was choosing something that given the confines of budget and access, would be able to show case through a tangible experiment. This year I've been intrigued by what can be inherited and passed down that aren't clearly labeled in DNA such as instinctual behaviors and the like. A snake at birth simply "knows" how to strike and coil and a caterpillar just knows how to craft a chrysalis without ever being taught. I will be growing tobacco plants in separate environments to show that organisms with the same basic DNA can have their physical attributes altered by external forces, possibly suggesting that DNA isn't the end all be all.

No comments:

Post a Comment